September 21, 2016
Welcome to Smithville Elementary! We are so excited to start "Growing Greatness" this year! On this page, you will find important information regarding our class--i.e., homework, procedures, our class schedule, ect.
A few important pieces of information:
- Planners do get sent home daily. Students generally have a nightly homework assignment from Mrs. Bonorden for math. Students will also have a nightly reading log to complete for my class. Additional homework may occur from time to time.
- Please make sure to sign the planner on today's date and initial the reading log.
- There is a reading log in the back of the planner. Please have your child use this as their way of tracking their nightly reading progress. There is no set time amount that students must read each night, but it is highly encouraged so that he/she gains fluency and discovers new literature.
- We are a peanut and tree nut free zone! Please try to send your child to school with peanut and tree nut-free snacks. It is a health concern; we want to make sure that every child is as safe as possible.
- We do have snacks during Tiger Time. If possible, please try to send your child to school with an additional snack to eat. It helps maintain focus and is a fun way to wind down the afternoon as we finish our last period of class.
A recap of last week and intro to this week: We completed our benchmark for math and began reading Aero and Officer Mike.
In English-Language Arts, we began discussing nouns and verbs. This week, we will explore prepositional phrases, author's purpose, text clues, and fables. We are also exploring what main idea is and how to summarize stories. Students are learning how to problem solve and learn story elements.
We will continue learning how to make connections and predictions to stories.
In science, students learning about magnets and how they work.
In social studies, we are exploring the American Revolution. It is Constitution Week; students are practicing the Constitution and have begun learning how the United States was founded.
Our newsletter is sent home weekly to keep students and parents/guardians up-to-date. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions! If you have any specific questions that I may have not covered, please let me know.